Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Washing and Carding real wool


Yup we have 2 Llama's. They are the cream of the crop as far as blood line and their wool is sought after as well. These 2 here are beautiful animals. I am doing some research on how to wash and card their wool. Anyone who knows about Llama's know that they do no secrete the lanolin oils like that of a sheep. So when you do Llama wool to spin you either have to have the oil on hand to help spin it or you have to mix sheep wool with it. So I may get 2 sheep as well. I have been studying online in how to wash and card wool and I think I will give it a try. A dear friend of mine in Washington said she would spin it for a few skeins of yarn. And since I am not using it to sell but to give as gifts then what a wonderful offer! We use these Llamas to guard our goats (just pet goats). So the wool was just a bonus!!

So now I need to buy the carding tools and the soap to use is Dawn dish soap so that isn't to bad!!

I haven't gotten to my socks (last post) I have been busy putting up fencing and a million other things I haven't even began that project yet!!

3 comments:

LINDA BYLSMA said...

Llama wool makes lovely yarn if you are careful to remove the guard hairs. I believe it is similar to alpaca with regards to the oil: they also do not secrete lanolin. We do not have to add oil to the fiber for spinning, though. Llama is also wonderful for felting! You are going to have some fun times ahead!

MaryMGlynn said...

Julie,
Their names are Divici and Mario. :)

My friend in WA is going to spin the wool. Yes my life is interesting alright lolol Keeps me busy for sure!

Linda, you will have to give me a few pointers on things lol Silly me but is the guard hairs the hair close to the skin?

Unknown said...

I'm so excited to see how you do with the fleece, Mary!! And Mario and Davinci are just adorable in the pictures.
Have fun with it all :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates