Monday, December 1, 2008

First Stocking

So Far



I decided to go ahead and make a stocking. Its funny because I design patterns myself but for some silly reason have always had a fear of knitting stockings, that they may turn out funny or I work and work and it does not turn out. Well I decided to give it a try. I am working on a secret exchange gift for a volunteer on HAIN. This is what I am making. So far so good and no double pointed needles, which is a bonus!
My youngest sister's grandmother (like my own) tradition is to make stockings for her kids, their kids and so forth. Now she is to old to make them and I decided to keep her tradition alive. She taught me the CO, Knit, Purl and Bind off stitches, the rest I learned on my own. I know I have made her proud and she gave me her pattern. It is an older pattern and details are not the best, so I decided to do a look around and find some patterns online (thanks to the internet) I was able to find many free patterns. I am excited and hope to inspire you to keep a tradition alive in your family. Our kids are getting further and further away from many traditions and have learned to be a throw away society. Why not give them something they can pass down? A quilt, a handcrafted stocking, an afghan or whatever else your family does as a tradition.

Happy Holidays & Merry CHRISTmas !

P.S. I used thinner Yarn for the white so it looks tighter..hummm

1 comments:

Unknown said...

It's turning out beautiful, Mary! Needlework and sewing crafts are important to pass down to our kids (I think anyway). You do such an amazing job!!! Love you lots :)

Template by:
Free Blog Templates